Vision is the crucial sense that we have. Each day, we use it to do our everyday tasks and activities. Yet, despite how good vision is needed in our lives, many people still neglect their eye health. We often hear or read about eyesight problems that make us worry about our eyesight.
So are you aware of how to take care of eyes?
If not, don’t worry. Today we will be talking about a few homemade remedies about how to take care of eyes. These remedies are all natural-based and can help you improve your eyesight or treat an existing eye problem.
Table Of Contents
How To Take Care Of Eyes Naturally?
1) Cucumber slices on the eyes for puffy eyes
Cucumbers are known for their soothing effects when applied to the skin. A simple cucumber slice on the eyes for 15 minutes can help reduce puffy eyes.
2) Fresh Aloe Vera juice is taken orally and applied directly to the eyes for restoring vision
Aloe is a plant with many medicinal purposes. Fresh aloe vera juice can be used as a mouthwash or even a toast spread. Applying the fresh aloe vera juice directly to the eyes can also help restore vision.
3) Garlic can be used as an eyewash to treat conjunctivitis and other infections on the eyes.
Garlic is very popular because of its antibiotic properties that can fight off infection in the body. To use it for treating eye problems:
- Cut a garlic clove and add it to a glass of water.
- Let the garlic soak in water for 15 minutes before straining out the clove.
- Use an eyedropper to apply the juice to your eyes.
4) Peppermint oil can be used both topically or orally to improve vision problems
Peppermint oil is a miracle for many eye problems. It can be used topically to improve vision-related issues such as night blindness, conjunctivitis, and cataracts. You can create a peppermint oil solution by mixing 5-6 drops of peppermint oil in half a cup of distilled water. Use a cotton pad to apply it directly to the eyes.
Alternatively, you can also drink 1-2 cups of peppermint tea every day to help improve your eye problems.
5) Bilberry extracts can be used alone or as a part of a combination solution for vision improvement
Bilberries contain high levels of anthocyanosides which helps enhance the microcirculation around your eyes. Mix bilberry extracts with acerola cherry and lutein in equal portions for best results. Take one spoon of the mixture three times a day to improve your eyesight and strengthen your eyes.
6) Castor oil can be used topically for treating macular degeneration and night blindness
Castor oil is rich in vitamin E, making it great for keeping your eyes healthy. To use it to treat night blindness, mix castor oil with some lutein and spread the mixture on a pair of eyeglasses.
7) Bilberry eye drops can be used topically for treating macular degeneration
Bilberry supplements are sold as beverages and dietary supplements that can help improve your vision. However, the safest way to use bilberries is by applying a few drops to your eyes. Bilberry eye drops contain small amounts of anthocyanosides which help improve the eye’s capacity in night vision and prevent macular degeneration.
8) Onion juice can be used topically for treating cataracts and other eye problems
Onions contain chromium which helps prevent the accumulation of sugar in your blood. For best results, mix onion juice with some honey to help improve night vision and treat eye problems like cataracts or macular degeneration.
9) Caffeine solution is an excellent home remedy for night blindness and macular degeneration
Caffeine is a substance that can boost your metabolism. Mix caffeine powder with some honey and apply it directly to the eyelids for best results. Please keep it for about 20 minutes and wash it off. This helps reduce symptoms of night blindness and also helps improve retina function in cases of macular degeneration.
10) Prepare a mixture of a few drops of lavender oil with one tablespoon olive oil
Lavender essential oil is helpful for soothing tired eyes due to its calming effect on the mind, thus serving as a mild sedative. The anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing swelling around your eyes. Pair the use of lavender oil with olive oil to avoid irritation. Olive oil contains antioxidants that help protect your skin against free radical damage, and the vitamin E present reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
A Few More For Those Who Work From Home
If you are working at home, you are likely to experience one of these problems:
- eye strain
- blurred vision
- sleep deprivation
Hence, let us see a few tips about how to take care of your eyes during work from home.
1.Take a break every 30 minutes
Make sure to take a break every half an hour. Just stand up, look into the distance, and blink firmly for about 30 seconds. By doing this, it helps to relax your eye muscles and increase blood circulation in your eyes.
2. Use natural lights
When working from home, it is best to use natural lighting as much as possible and avoid working in a place where artificial lighting is the only source. If you cannot use natural light, consider using an energy-saving light bulb because they produce low heat compared to other bulbs, which can cause your eyes to dry out easily.
3. Take care of your equipment
The condition of your computer monitor and eyeglasses can affect your eyesight. Therefore, you must regularly clean your computer monitor and eyeglasses with alcohol-free wipes to avoid dust and dirt building upon them.
4. Stretch your eye muscles daily
To stretch the muscles in your eyes, simply look into the distance and hold this position for half a minute before slowly returning to your starting position. Repeat the process two or three times daily for best results.
5. Use eye drops
If you work for more than 20 minutes without blinking, your eyes will start drying out, and it can lead to blurred vision. By using lubricating eye drops during the day, you can avoid this. There are also eye drops containing caffeine and anti-inflammatory substances to help with your eye fatigue.
Eye Care Tips
1) Make sure to wash the hands before touching your eyes
2) Never touch your eyes after handling raw meat
3) Ensure to keep your hand away from your face while you’re sleeping
4) Cut out smoking and alcohol consumption to slow down vision loss caused by macular degeneration
5) Eat healthy food for good vision
6) Take supplements that boost eye health
7) Always rub your eyes with your eyelids shut to keep the surface of your eyes smooth
8) Try not to look at screens for too long since they can cause eye strain and headaches
9) Wear sunglasses when you go outside during the day or when the sun is out in full force
10) Always remember that keeping your eyes healthy requires a lot of work on your part, do your best not to be lazy, and follow the steps above.